Sunday 3 March 2019

Robot Drones Started. Using Jurassic World Matchbox Die-cast.

Now I spotted these at the same time as the Subs I previously used.

I kept thinking about the figures from Superfigs Old Glory and their round floating robots.
I grabbed a few as again they were only £1 each from my local Entertainer toy shop.

Next I had the dilemma of how to attach any external bits to a sphere which is mainly made of brittle plastic? Also how to base it in a hover/flight way?

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the brittle plastic. I had to enlarge it slightly with a sharp knife blade. I found the pointed scalpel blade best for this. I took it slowly and test fitted the rod until it just popped through the hole. The rod I used was a cheap ballpoint pen refill. I left the nib on the end of this. Mainly because it gave a fitting just deep enough to be strong when super glued in place.
 Then I had to worry and think of external fixtures. These consisted of: An internal piece of an old VHS cassette. I had enough to do all 3 of the spheres. They do vary from manufacturers. Then an electrical connector part. The type you would use to connect 2 bare wires. I had previously removed the metal interior and |I have blocks of these because the are very cheap and useful. The semi clear white section you can see below. 
 Another problem was getting these fixed to the side of the sphere. I decided to drill a small hole in the softer plastic on the side of the sphere. Then insert a ball headed pin and superglue it. Then I had a mounting to hang the rest of the external fixtures on.
You can just rotate the sphere until the internal chair mount gets out of the way of the drilling and the pin.
Lastly I attached a small LEGO 1x1 flat plate onto the back of what is the camera mount. Just to seal one end of it. I am still thinking if there is anything else I can add. But may just undercoat then paint them as is. But there will probably be more done later. A lens on the camera. More LEGO I think of the clear variety.

I will use these as base patrolling security cameras. Also I will build recharge columns for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment